The River Conditions map displays Big Hole River stream gage locations and readings, Drought Management Plan trigger locations, and developing streamflow and temperature trends.
Thank you to George Grant Trout Unlimited for covering the costs of the Big Hole River’s 3 temperature gages for BHWC for 2021, 2022, and 2023.
*Please note: Many of the gages on the map below report seasonally, so streamflow and temperature readings will not be available for all locations from November-May.
ABOUT THE RIVER CONDITIONS TOOL
This version of the River Conditions web tool was developed by the USFWS and the Missouri Headwaters Partnership in 2018. It was developed with input from the BHWC and is based on a similar tool first created by the BHWC in 2016.
BIG HOLE RIVER DROUGHT MANAGEMENT PLAN
SHARED SACRIFICE, SHARED SUCCESS
The Big Hole River Drought Management Plan designates target river flow and temperature conditions for fish health in five river sections of the Big Hole River. The plan includes voluntary conservation targets for all water users, MFWP fishing restriction criteria, and information tools. Conservation actions are designed support the health of the fishery.
The plan outlines voluntary conservation actions and relies on Shared Sacrifice, Shared Success – if all users sacrifice, we can all be successful in protecting the fishery. The plan also designates MFWP fishing restrictions when drought conditions reach critical levels.
The BHWC DMP originated in 1997. The plan is reviewed annually by a committee made up of irrigators, fishermen, conservation groups, and agency representatives as well as the entire BHWC.
- Big Hole River Drought Management Plan, Version 2023
- Big Hole River Drought Management Plan Quick Reference, Version 2023
- Big Hole River Drought Management Plan Amendments, Version 2023
- Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Current Water Body Restrictions
- DNRC Stream and Gage Explorer (StAGE)
- Montana Standard: A Guest View (from BHWC): A culture of collaborative conservation (2021)
- Montana Standard: A River In Peril (2022)
2023 News Articles RE: Trout Population Decline
- Trout numbers at historic lows in Big Hole River
- FWP proposes new regulations, invests in research and monitoring
- Emergency fishing restrictions adopted for Big Hole, Beaverhead and Ruby Rivers
- FWP wades into roiling waters about trout population declines in southwest Montana
- FWP launches new public portal to report sightings of sick or dead fish
- FWP’s response to trout declines in Big Hole, Beaverhead and Ruby Rivers
- FWP to propose fisheries mortality study for Montana rivers